Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Open Source Software and Cloud Computing

This week in our class we discussed the importance again of cloud computing, but also how cloud computing can be used to access open source software programs. Some free of charge, such as GIMP and Google Docs. GIMP is a free program you can download off the Internet, and it is basically a downscaled version of Photoshop. It is very helpful for an amateur or beginner in the program. It can do all the basics of photoshop, and you can receive the same results for free. I have used it in internships, which needed me to alter or enhance photos, without having to buy the thousand dollar program. I would definitely recommend it to anyone as a great test run or starter to Photoshop.

I also have really enjoyed using Google Docs whenever I have a project or document that I need to share with a group of people. It saves me emailing it to everyone as an attachment and then having them email me back with their changes because they can write right in the document. It also saves me the problems of any formatting issues or problems because everyone can view it exactly as I wrote it.

I have used both of these open source software programs in PR whenever I need to edit a picture and share documents with a group of people. I will continue to use them whenever needed, and I am sure they will be very helpful in my future work place.

This video explains in a simple way what Google Docs are, how they work and how to use them:

No comments:

Post a Comment